Friday, June 26, 2009

Who is really Chilled in Canada?

It would be chilling to find out who is really Chilled

I am getting goose bumps just thinking about this. A friend from Alberta said in an email last night to just blog for fun, and not get stressed about it. Well, I was getting stressed trying to say and do the right thing and figure it out. So, now it is just for fun, and fun it will be, I hope.

Madame Lynch in her big speech reported and commented by Ezra Levant recently said: "As personal attacks were made against anyone who tried to correct the record, the number of people willing to make the effort dwindled. There is tangible proof of this: 50% of interviewees for an upcoming book on human rights have stated that they feel “chilled” about speaking up."

Interesting Comment. I have found the same thing, but in reverse. I wanted to write in my blog about the real victims of the HRCs, what it cost those who were caught up in cases in cash, emotional distress, job loss family stresses, etc.

I have written directly to people involved in cases I have been researching. I have also advertised to try and find people who have been through a Human Rights case, happily or sadly to get them to tell me what it was like for them. No one has responded. Why do you think that is? I can only guess, but bet I have a pretty educated guess. It's not probably my electronic breath. Would you risk saying anything that might be published that could possibly make it harder on you in your ongoing case? Or, if your case is settled, would you ever want to think about it again?

Having met people who have been put through the mill by the HRCs, I am not sure I trust the veracity of this statement by Ms. Lynch. I can see people being afraid of a government machine from which there is little recourse, and which can chew you up and spit you out at its own pleasure. I find it hard to believe that 50% of interviewees for an upcoming book on human rights would be CHILLED about speaking up.

Ezra Levant, as you might know, wrote a book about human rights, called "Shakedown", which unless you were out of the galaxy on sabbatical recently, you probably heard of. Hey Ezra, did you find any people you spoke to who were feeling too chilled to chat?

No comments: