Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lost Your Job Yet Keep Buying Foreign

What Does This Mean Anyway?

Ok. This is not HRC related, but it is truth related, I think. Or maybe it is just one of those wierd (dumb) early morning thoughts.

The first time that I saw the bumper sticker "Lost Your Job Yet Keep Buying Foreign" it was on a Dodge minivan about 2 years ago. I found it confusing on a couple of levels. Chrysler was at the time owned by Daimler from Germany, and I was behind it in my Honda Accord, which was made in America, or maybe I was behind it in my Honda Civic which was made in Alliston, Ontario. I forget that detail. If the driver of the van still has that vehicle and the bumper sticker, Chrysler is now American owned. Is that foreign?

The proud Canadian driver had a baby seat in the car that was made in China, and was wearing clothes made in the Far East somewhere. Okay, he and his wife probably made their kid here in Canada, and maybe his parents did the same. They were at the grocery store buying American and South American fruits and vegetables it being that time of year, and many of the packaged foods in their cart came from abroad because they were cheaper. I did notice that the milk they bought was from a Canadian dairy, as were the yogourt and cheese, mainly because there were no other choices.

I wonder what "Lost Your Job Yet Keep Buying Foreign" really means.

Not to be confused with Obama's Buy American rhetoric. That I get, and I don't like it. In fact, that is specific. I guess it was the ambiguity of the bumper sticker and the dazed sh?t eating look on the face of the guy making the bold political statement with it that struck me.

Just curious.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I am looking for the bumper sticker that quotes the phrase "lost your job yet? keep buying foreign". if you know where I can get one, please leave me a message on my blog. www.gascoigne-addict.blogspot.com
Thanks!

Michael Brandon said...

What a profound comment

Anonymous said...

It wasn't a comment so much as a request for information. You're one of those who like to shoot off at the mouth aren't you? Really getting tired of Americans bashing Obama for trying to turn around an ecomony that was begining to sink LONG before he took office. If it weren't for the rich Republicans and their selfish "what about me" ways our country wouldn't be in the shape it's in. Whatever happend to "by the people and for the people"....NOT by rich people for rich people. It is partially the fault of consumers not buying American products...just do a little bit of research and learn for yourself instead of believing the crap that Republicans try to ram down our throats. Another point is the only way Obama could extend the Bush era tax breaks for struggling families was to appease Republicans and extend them for the wealthiest Americans too. Seriously? The wealthiest Americans are the only ones doing well in this economy...otherwise they wouldn't be wealthy anymore. Anyone with half a brain knows that it's the middle and lower income class who keep this country going.

Michael Brandon said...

Did you've read what I wrote?