Monday, March 28, 2022

WELCOME HOME FATHER SAM

 Welcome Home Father Sam

March 28, 2022


What follows appears to be about Father Sam Johnston, and on the surface that is true. But, above all, it is about what and who Father Sam cherished most, his and our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It is about the boundless Mercy of God, which He animates in His Children who seek it, and choose to live it.



Since Father Sam Johnston, my Spiritual Director, friend to me and my wife, and spiritual father, passed away on March 24, 2022, he has been much in our minds, and prayers.


When I would travel regularly to Ridgetown to meet him, there were two things he would say from time to time, and they are a part of this story. 


In our discussions we would touch on the state of the world, the state of life of the people of Uganda he so dearly loved, and individuals he cared about, of which there were a great many. He would often say: “I may not be happy, but I am Joyful.”


As my wife, Tina, and I have thought of him, interceded for him, and asked for his intercession these last few days, we have not been unhappy at all. Instead, we have been filled with more joy than we have ever known. We have held a certainty that he is in heaven, and is acting like a funnel of grace from heaven to all those he loved on earth.  Our home and our hearts are so full of joy right now, that we can hardly contain it.


This was confirmed by a vision I had last evening, with more details in prayer this morning. But, as often happens to me, when I see something so unusual, like what I saw in this extended vision, I hear a voice telling me that I made it all up.


So, this morning in prayer I received a confirmation of the visions from the redoubtable St. Faustina.


First, here is the diary entry from St. Faustina that was in my morning email.


Today I was in Heaven  - St. Faustina Diary 777

November 27, [1936]. Today I was in heaven, in spirit, and I saw its inconceivable beauties and the happiness that awaits us after death. I saw how all creatures give ceaseless praise and glory to God. I saw how great is happiness in God, which spreads to all creatures, making them happy; and then all the glory and praise which springs from this happiness returns to its source; and they enter into the depths of God, contemplating the inner life of God, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, whom they will never comprehend or fathom.

This source of happiness is unchanging in its essence, but it is always new, gushing forth happiness for all creatures. Now I understand Saint Paul, who said, “Eye has not seen, nor has ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man what God has prepared for those who love Him.”


Now, here is what I saw.


I saw Thursday morning, just prior to Father Sam’s death. A very large crowd was gathering at a particular place in heaven. They were there because they were excitedly talking among themselves that: “Father Sam is coming home.” They were overjoyed to see him and meet him, many for the first time. There was a giant banner that said: “Welcome Home Father Sam Johnston”.


I saw at the front of the crowd some of his dearest friends, and all his siblings and parents. I saw also those whose funerals he had conducted whether they were friends, or members of his congregations throughout our diocese. I saw people there whose confessions he had heard from around the world, at Medjugorje, in Columbia, in Uganda.  


But what was also very exciting was that I saw my Mom and Dad. They were there to thank Father Sam for all he had done for me over the years to draw me closer to Jesus. But it wasn’t just my parents. There were relatives of the living here on earth who had been touched by his ministry. Like my parents, they wanted to be part of the welcoming, and show their gratitude for what his ministry had meant to their loved ones. They were from all over the globe.


When Father Sam arrived, they cheered, and welcomed him. It was a very joyous cacophony. Father Sam had arrived dressed in his priestly black shirt, and pants, with his collar glowing white.


Then it became suddenly quiet, and the crowd parted making a pathway. Jesus came through the parting, with a broad smile on his face, and took Father Sam, who he dwarfed, into his arms and gave him a big hug . . . even bigger than Father Sam’s famous hugs.


Jesus had tears of joy as he welcomed his precious child and brother home. Father Sam wept for joy, and there was not a dry eye in the crowd. Another time the crowd parted, and Our Blessed Mother came through the parting and wrapped her arms around Father Sam, kissed his forehead, pulled her head back a bit, and looked at him with a mother’s love.


Though I did not see it happen, Father Sam was now in a beautiful white robe.


One of Father Sam’s favorite expressions is: “Praise the Lord Anyway”, or “PTLA” for short. He was so filled with joy, he wanted to shout it out, but realized that “Anyway” was redundant, and he shouted out: “Praise the Lord,” and was joined by the whole crowd as they gave praise to Jesus.


I did not get to see any more of the celebration, as the vision ended.


But, I was reminded of another Father Sam aphorism, his definition of JOY - Jesus, Others, You.


This is how he lived his life, and it brought great joy to so many. As he imitated Christ and our Mother Mary in his daily life, may we too live our lives for the Glory of God.


Father Sam was a holy man, but he also was a sinner like us. He went to heaven immediately, in part because God called on people around the world to pray for him, and at least one particular individual to suffer redemptively for him.




A favorite song in our household is Scars In Heaven by the Christian music group, Casting Crowns. As beautiful as this song is it took on new meaning for us this week, as so many of our thoughts and prayers were about and for Father Sam.


The second verse and refrain struck me as particularly poignant. The song is linked below.


I know the road you walked was anything but easy

You picked up your share of scars along the way.

Oh, but now you're standing in the sun, 

you've fought your fight and your race is run

The pain is all a million miles away.


The only scars in heaven, they won't belong to me and you;

There'll be no such thing as broken, and all the old will be made new.

And the thought that makes me smile now, even as the tears fall down

Is that the only scars in heaven, yeah, are on the hands that hold you now.


https://youtu.be/BCc7TCmKcwQ

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Even though I am tearful and will miss him greatly now that
he is gone I am happy that he is in heaven.

jasper said...

What a homecoming. Thank you for sharing. Now your work increases Fr Sam!!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Thank you

Maureen Smolders Hames (niece) said...

I have read and re-read this beautiful vision that you have shared, and I will read it many times more. So beautiful, and such a loving and faith filled tribute to the most holy man on earth that I will ever know. He was such a blessing to all of us, and he is so often in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for his prayers for all of us here. God bless you, and thank you for sharing this beautiful post!! ❤️🙏🏻