Friday, September 3, 2010

God Is Redundant - Hawking

I Love You Stephen - God

Stephen Hawking, the 68 year old scientist, who is recognizable for his physical disabilites to those of us who could not likely grasp any of his scientific knowledge, has produced a new book in collaboration with a US Physicist called "The Grand Design." 

Here is an interesting article about it over at MSNBC.

There is in the article one quote from the book, and it is probably the only lines from this new book that I would be able to grasp:
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing," Hawking and his co-author, Caltech physicist Leonard Mlodinow, write in "The Grand Design," which is due to be issued next week. "Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
If the Law of gravity is so pivotal to the self creation of the universe, I am curious as to who created the Law of gravity, certainly not Hawking, and definitely not me.  I'm thinking that the now declared redundant one might have done that.

You can see near the bottom of the article, a link to a transcript of a chat with atheist and evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, where he has this to say about God:
"Darwin kicked him out of biology, but physics remained more uncertain," Dawkins says. "Hawking is now administering the coup de grace."
I don't think that God is too worried about Darwin (I wonder where he is spending eternity), nor Dawkins (I wonder where he might get to spend eternity).  Darwin kicking God out of biology reminds me of the old tasteless joke about the flea climbing up the leg of the elephant with the intention of rape.

I think His answer to Dawkins is pretty similar to His words for Hawking.  "I love you Richard, as I loved Charles."

Interesting reading and food for thought.

No comments: