Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What Mary Means to Me

Personal Thoughts On the Mother of Our Saviour

For years now, I have had a dedication to Mary as a Mother, and as my own spiritual Mother. I felt inspired many years ago to start praying the Rosary daily, which is really prayers about the life, death and resurrection of Jesus, but with much of the perspective of His Blessed Mother.

Her faith, that allowed her to say yes to the angel when he appeared to her to tell her what God planned to do through her, is an inspiration to us all. And her faith and love of her Son, including her ability to allow Him to follow the path that led to His death, and ultimate resurrection is an inspiration as well for us to allow God to intervene in our lives as He chooses, not as we choose. Jesus was not the only one to say and feel: "Not my will, but yours be done." Mary, by quietly following Jesus on His path to Calvary, was echoing those words as well. How could she stand by and let her Son, who she knew was innocent of all the charges trumped up against Him, be led to His death in such ignominious fashion? Though it was not easy for her, she could because of her faith in God, the God who brings triumph out of tragedy, and for Whom the unusual is the usual.

I don't know about you, but that sure inspires me.

I have also prayed daily the Memorare to the Blessed Virgin which is as follows:
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.

Inspired with this confidence,
I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.

It is a beautiful prayer, and I periodically meditate on some of the particular words of it like "Mother of the Word Incarnate." It fills me with awe to contemplate Jesus, the Word Incarnate, and that an earthly woman was chosen to be His Mother. That's a WOW moment for me, every time, I think of it.

1 comment:

My Chocolate Heart said...

It inspires me, too, Michael. It's not hard to say beautiful things about our beautiful Lady, and it's such a gift for us to be able to run to her.