Sunday, December 13, 2009

Response to the Serenity Prayer

My Friend Joshua Cracks Me Up

His beautiful faith, and his way with words is such a delight to me. I just have to share them with you. Here is what he had to say when he read my short piece that linked to Fr. Sam's blog "Life in the Spirit".
I clicked on the link and read the Serenity Prayer.

The prayer had me reeling. Simplicity is the key to clear communication. There is nothing here that any sane person could argue with, but I can fathom how frightening this might be to atheists and agnostics. It is warmly comforting to people of faith, and it is downright inarguable and edifying to those among us who have placed our lives in the hands of the Lord.

I'm getting really comfy with the idea that Jehovah is my Father as well as my (most reliable) brother and my (best) friend. All three of 'em recently got together and saved my life. That really has an IMPACT on a guy, know what I mean?

As I see it currently from where I stand, God gave me life, then saved my life, so it seems to me the LEAST I can do is spend the rest of my life listening to Him and doing as He says.

Right now, I'm actually in "listening" mode all the time, awaiting a word from God from one moment to the next.

I might add that I pop by Freedom Through Truth because it has become one of my favourite websites and radio stations. Amazing how often a song you have posted cuts right through me and gets right to me. And sometimes, therein is the answer or direction I've been searching and listening for...

It has been said that God works in mysterious ways. Well, that's all well and good, and it might even be true. But God works in LOTS of ways, quite frankly, and most of 'em aren't surreptitious! God has no secret agenda. I've not noticed "mysterious ways" nearly as much as I have noticed God's "playful ways" lately, as well as His incredible sense of humour.

Years ago, I remember seeing kids at a Christian Youth Festival carrying signs and wearing buttons that read "God Rocks". I thought it was cute then, but now I realize how TRUE it is. A youngster might believe that God rocks, but when I look back over the past 50 years, I actually can SEE God rocking and can remember the beat and the melody, too. The lyrics were pretty cool although I wasn't really able to make them out until I'd listened to them over and over again through the years. Now God's words seem quite clear when He speaks to me. Crystal clear, actually, and always persuasive.

Be warned! God seduces...and His is the Greatest Love of All.
Amen, Brother. Preach it!!!


No comments: