Monday, August 30, 2010

It Is Well With My Soul

A Great Song By Horatio Spafford

I just discovered that I first posted this on November 16, 2009.  As I was thinking about spiritual things and about my Saviour this early evening, it came back to me.  Since my auto accident about 6 1/2 years ago, I have had considerable problems with memory, and so when I found the song on You Tube, as sung by Guy Penrod and the Gaither Choir, it was exciting to me.

It did not dampen my enthusiasm when I came back to my blog and found that I had posted the song with the exact video that touched me moments ago, just 9 months ago.  In fact, it was news to me.  They say that the good thing about having a bad memory is that you get to meet a lot of nice people, over and over and over.

Anyway, here is what I posted back then, so you can enjoy it for the first time like me, a second time, maybe.

Horatio Spafford wrote one of the best known hymn of worship known to man. Here is how the song came about from a wikipedia article about it:

"It Is Well with My Soul" is a very influential hymn penned by hymnist Horatio Spafford and composed by Philip Bliss.
This hymn was written after several traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the death of his only son in 1871, shortly followed by the great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer). Then in 1873, he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the S.S. Ville du Havre, but sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sailing ship, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone." Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.
Bliss called his tune Ville du Havre, from the name of the stricken vessel.
The Spaffords later had three more children, one of whom (a son) died in infancy. In 1881 the Spaffords, including baby Bertha and newborn Grace, set sail for Palestine. The Spaffords moved to Jerusalem and helped found a group called the American Colony; its mission was to serve the poor. The colony later became the subject of the Nobel prize winning Jerusalem, by Swedish novelist Selma Lagerlöf.
Out of the tragedies in his life, Spafford, even in his own grief composed these lyrics:
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
Horatio Spafford

What an inspirational hymn. Here it is with the story told by Bill Gaither, and then the song sung by the Gaither choir:


No comments: