Saturday, December 19, 2009

Who is WaMo?

And What Does it Mean?

What is a nickname? A nickname is a moniker for someone or some place, and is a descriptive name given in place of or in addition to the official name of a person, place or thing.

From the same article at Wikipedia, "a nickname is sometimes considered desirable, symbolising a form of acceptance, but can often be a form of ridicule."

In the Human Rights world in Canada, we have J Ly for example, a nick name for Jennifer Lynch. You decide for yourself whether that is a form of acceptance.

But, in particular, some people give themselves nicknames. For example, we have in the human rights arena, Blazing Cat Fur, Binks, Small Dead Animals (SDA for short). These are all real people, who like MBrandon8026 prefer to remain behind their self created nicknames.

I don't know the history of the first 3 I mentioned, but I do know the MBrandon8026 one, since it is moi. MBrandon8026 is the nickname Rogers gave me when they assigned my first user name to me many years ago. It stuck. I am used to it, and so I applied it when I started my blog, and tend to use it for myself.

To paraphrase Billy Shakespeare, "Some are born with nicknames, some achieve nicknames and some have nickname thrust upon them.

Big babies in the southern US are sometimes born with the nickname "Bubba" for example. Others achieve their nicknames like Blazing Cat Fur. Not sure how he achieved it, but he wasn't born with it, and he didn't have it thrust upon him.

But others have their nicknames thrust upon them. J Ly is a case in point. But, in this instance I am referring to the nickname WaMo.

WaMo was up until yesterday just Walker Morrow, a fine young man from the left coast. But, he gets out in front of things and so I thought people who are out in front of things tend to and ought to get a nickname.

So, when the thought came to me, that young Walker needed a nickname, it was easy to concatenate his first and last names and then Poof, you got yourself a nickname.

As to his nickname, I had two contexts for it. One, his writing is getting hard hitting, as in "WhamMo". The other context is that he is doing more work than most bloggers out there so "Way Mo(re)".

So, if the mimicker fits, wear it, or to paraphrase Johnny Cochrane: "If the glove do fit, you gotta convict." So, we will see if WaMo sticks.

It seems to be sticking, since I got a couple of notes from young WaMo himself today, and he signed them with it.

No comments: