Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Liberal nominee not qualified for agency job

NDP Are Master of Understatement

The Star.com reports about a proposed McGuinty appointment coming down the pike.

The Liberals are nominating a former Ontario Human Rights Tribunal head to oversee all provincial environmental and land-use agencies, which one MPP charges is akin to making the "coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs the president of the Toronto Blue Jays."

Lawyer Michael Gottheil has been nominated to lead the Environment and Land Use Planning Cluster, which includes the Assessment Review Board, the Board of Negotiation, the Environmental Review Tribunal and the Ontario Municipal Board.

Here is Mr. Gottheil's self portrait from the HRT of Ontario web site, where he is shown as the current Chair of the Tribunal:

Mr. Gottheil was appointed Chair of the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario in April 2005. He is a graduate of Osgoode Hall Law School and was called to the Bar of Ontario in 1987. After working as in-house counsel for two national trade unions, in 1991 he co-founded the Ottawa law firm of Engelmann Gottheil, where he practiced labour, employment and human rights law until his recent appointment. In addition to practicing law, Mr. Gottheil has also held the positions of part-time professor at Algonquin College and the University of Ottawa Law School.

Mr. Gottheil has been actively engaged in professional and volunteer activities focused on improving the lives of the visually impaired. He is a member of the Canadian Association of Visually Impaired Lawyers and over a 12-year period, served on the Board of the Canadian National Institute for the Blind as member, vice-chair and chair at the Ottawa local and provincial levels.

Mr. Gottheil's interest and commitment to human rights and social justice extends beyond his professional activities. He has travelled the world, climbed mountains and in taking the time to exchange views and build bridges, sought to explore the differences that create the human fabric. He is a keen believer that learning and living varied experiences and perspectives is fundamental to both personal growth and positive community change.

I sure don't see any real world experience there, but looking at the rulings of the Tribunal while he has been on top, I don't see any connection to the real world there either.

Lisa MacLeod for the Conservatives had this to say about the nomination:

"We think he has no planning background, no background in heritage conservation, no background in urban design and no background in assessment reviews."

Of course, the provincial Godfather has a different take on it:

Premier Dalton McGuinty's office denied an "uber-agency" is being created and said the move to appoint the "highly qualified" Gottheil is just meant to improve operational efficiencies. He'd oversee the administration of property and land-use tribunals to reduce duplications.

And the candidate himself says:

"What I bring to the table is the experience and knowledge and the ability to put into place questions of access to justice ... questions of case management,"

Heck of a job on that case management piece, Michael if the rulings from your HRT are any indication. Politics, yes. Truth, not so much.

The decision is deferred for a week, but since the reds dominate the committee and the house, is there any doubt about the outcome?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there: This entry proved very thought-provoking for me, and caused me to remember a pivotal moment in my own life.

I went to university during the "hippie-then-disco" years (1969-1977). I participated thoroughly in the excesses of the day on my way to my PhD. At one point (circa 1975), a female friend and I were chatting when we both realized we could not remember the names of some people with whom we'd been intimate. That stopped us both dead since we had been discussing how sexual communion was the "ultimate expression of giving-ness" between two people. How could we have given ourselves - or been had! - by people we could not even name!

I think they call it "a transformative expreience". Promiscuity stopped that day for me. Dignity IS what it is all about - your own and the other person's. Nothing in this dimension of life is more precious than this intimacy.

I have gone from thinking of myself as a "lapsed Catholic" to "an agnostic" (though never "atheist"!) Today, every creative manifestion of God that I encounter causes me to embrace Jehovah more closely than ever before.

With the benefit of hindsight, I can see that I have lived a far more "Catholic" life than have my "practising Catholic" friends. Faithful still after almost 30 years of marriage, my wife and I share a more vital relationship than ever. Our children and grandchildren are the treasures we are leaving behind, not inheritances and real estate.

God is wherever you find Him. You can find Him wherever you choose to look. It's not rocket science, really, and I've no idea why it's always been this way for me. It's not as if I've actually spent lots of time praying or anything. I've wondered whether it's because I am a creative person employed in a creative economic sector. You see, I could never have succeeded in doing what I do without some help. I cannot pretend - even/especially to myself - to be a faucet flowing with creative ideas 24/7. I had no recourse BUT to turn to a "higher power" in order to feed my family and not die of stress in the process! So I got into the habit of "working with Jehovah" all the time in my head. And I mean I did this ALL the time. Still do. My "inner creative brainstorming sessions" are with Jehovah (Lord knows I could never really count on "colleagues"!) As I've gotten older and worries over basic survival have become a thing of the past, I silently offer up virtually everything I do to God just because I've received so very much in my time.

It is ironic, really. Now that I am near retirement, I am also reaching my creative peak. I know this peak will extend well into the future, and I'll have no need to "exercise it" anymore (and the indistry will dismiss me as "too old" and "yesterday's news"). But I'll have to keep producing because it is what I do, and I now do it for the pleasure it brings others and for God. Maybe those two last things are the SAME thing. I've pehaps always measured my closenss to God by the amount of pleasure I bring others.

I mention all of this because my wife has been ESSENTIAL to all this, including my relationship with Jehovah, it could be argued. Her tireless love and support, her intellect and wit and extraordinary pallette of skills and abilities, her loyalty and her strength have helped keep the path well lighted. So I've never lost my way.

I have so many reasons to be thankful because I've not been the most aware of committed Christians, if you follow what I'm saying. But my actions - what I've done in and with my life - never strayed from God's Path (I am somewhat relieved to say!)

My wife has a gift for understatement. She tells me: "You don't deserve any awards or a halo, but you've been a darned GOOD man, husband and father from what I've seen. Of course, I could be wrong..."

Ah! She remains the brightest of lights in my life!

mbrandon8026 said...

Come Home, please. We need You.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. May God Bless You, and may you continue your search for Jehovah every day of your life.

The Church needs a few good men, well really all the men and women that will come home to her loving arms.

mbrandon8026 said...

Please read my post on your comments.

http://freethroughtruth.blogspot.com/2009/10/bright-spot.html